June 10–11, 2017
University of Illinois at Chicago — Museum and Exhibition Studies
How do museums respond to the urgencies of the moment? In what ways can they be transformed to foster social justice?
Fwd: Museums, an inclusive, cross-disciplinary publication, shares interventions, experiments, and community dialogs within and outside of museums. Our contributors reexamine, critique, and challenge museums as socially responsive spaces.
Our second issue, themed “small,” features art, essays, poetry, and other creative forms exploring topics such as:
- Small alternative exhibition spaces
- Marginalized identities challenging dominant structures
- Impacts of small objects in and outside of museums
- Unique possibilities, challenges, and contexts offered by small museums and exhibitions
- Perspectives of museum workers in “small” positions
- Smallness and consumability
This journal and issue 1: Inaugurations, will be available for purchase at Lit Fest, along with cute SMaLL totes.